Financial Support – we offer a helping hand when you need us.

We are proud of what we do to support our communities.

Sometimes that means providing you with a helping hand when it comes to your finances.  That’s why we have a dedicated Financial Support Team.  The Team is made up of three skilled professionals whose job it is to help you access financial support in a number of ways.

Examples of what the Financial Support Team can help with include:-

  • Benefit checks - there are a range of State Benefits available, some of which you may not even know you may be entitled to;

  • Help with completing the appropriate paperwork or forms to apply for benefits; 

  • Help with Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and/or Universal Credit;

  • Appeals - by this we mean challenging a decision that has been made to deny you benefits.  If you think you have a case, we can help you with the paperwork and can represent you at any Appeal Tribunal;

  • Fuel Poverty - we work with not-for-profit Citrus Energy who assist with fuel debt and can establish if you are on the right energy tariff;

  • Accessing affordable credit - we can find out how you can access loans at a reasonable rate of interest.  We also work with Pollok Credit Union which is located in Maryhill Shopping Centre.  A Credit Union can offer you a savings account as well as low cost loans.

Universal Credit is being rolled out for people of working age, who are out of work or working and on a low income.

Universal Credit replaces the following 6 benefits:-

● Working Tax Credit
● Child Tax Credit
● Housing Benefit
● Job Seekers Allowance (Income-Based)
● Income Support
● Employment & Support Allowance (Income-Related)

Contact Us

If you think we can help you please get in touch.  You can call us on 0141 946 2466 during office hours (9am to 5pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and 9am to 1pm on Wednesdays) or email us at:

We also operate a drop-in service where you can come in and speak to a member of the Financial Support Team. 

The drop-in times are:-

Mondays          9am – 1pm
Wednesdays   9am – 1pm
Thursdays        1pm – 5pm

Appointments are still available for more complex enquiries and for assistance completing forms. Please contact us to arrange an appointment.

If you have mobility issues or are house-bound we can come and see you.  Just call us and we will arrange a home visit.

If you are in financial difficulty - the earlier you contact us the better.

This also applies to your rent.  If you are unable to pay your rent or think this may be a problem then please get in touch.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q:  My benefits have been delayed.  What do I do?
A:  If you are in financial crisis you can call the Scottish Welfare Fund on 0141 276 1177 and apply for a Crisis Grant for living expenses.  You can also call into our office for a referral to the local foodbank if you feel that is appropriate.

Q: My benefits have been stopped.  What can I do?
A: You normally have 28 days (from the date of the letter informing you of this) to challenge the decision.  Call the number on the letter to speak with the relevant department or call us on 0141 946 2466 and ask to speak to a member of our Financial Support Team.

Q: I have received a questionnaire about Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). What do I do?
A: The letter accompanying the questionnaire will confirm the date it has to be completed and returned by.  Please check this and ensure that it is completed before the deadline is reached.  If you would like assistance to complete the questionnaire, please contact us as soon as you can so that an appointment can be arranged before the deadline.

Q: When will I get my Warm Home Discount Payment?
A: The Warm Home Discount Scheme for winter 2019 to 20 scheme is due to open in Autumn 2019. You can get £140 off your electricity bill under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.  The money is not paid to you - it is a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.  You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity.  Contact your supplier for more information.

Q: How do I get in touch with Housing Benefit now that the local office has closed?
A: You can call 0141 287 5050 for advice or make an appointment at Maryhill Library to speak with a Council employee in person. You can also visit Glasgow City Council Contact Centre, 45 John Street, to seek help or assistance.  You are welcome to use a phone in our office to call them.  Appointments can also be arranged online at

Q: Do I have to pay the so-called "bedroom tax", also known as the spare room subsidy?
A: No, the Scottish Government have made a commitment to pay any shortfall for everyone affected in 2017/18.  However, if you haven't received it before you do have to make a claim for it via Glasgow City Council.