Published on: 29 Mar 2019 14:56

Written by: Maryhill Housing

We recently wrote to all of our customers to advise of the changes to rents that will apply from 1st April 2019. If you have still not received this letter, please get in touch with us as soon as possible.

If you receive Universal Credit, you are responsible for reporting any changes in your circumstances. The increase to your rent from 1st April 2019 is an example of a change in circumstances which you will need to report.

Your claim could be reduced or stopped altogether if you do not report a change of circumstances right away.

This could result in you not receiving enough money to pay your rent.

The guide below outlines each of the steps you need to take to report the change to your rent.

1.         Make sure you know exactly what your new rent charge is going to be from 1st April 2019 (please refer to the letter we recently sent you about this).

2.         On Monday 1st April 2019, sign in to your Universal Credit online account.

3.         Select ‘Report a change in circumstances’.

4.         Scroll down and select the last option, ‘Where I live and what it costs’.

5.         Your rent and service charge must be entered separately. If you do not have a service charge, you must enter £0.00 in order to proceed.

6.         Go through each of the questions which follow and select ‘Submit’. Your journal should then show that you have reported a change.

7.         Write a note in your journal to let Universal Credit know that you have provided the details of your new rent charge.

8.         If you pay by Standing Order or Direct Debit you must ensure that the new rent charge is being paid to Maryhill Housing from April 2019 onwards.

9.         Check your next Universal Credit payment carefully to make sure that you are receiving the new housing element amount.

Please note that you cannot update your journal about the change to your rent before 1st April 2019 as it will not have been applied yet.

If you need help checking your Universal Credit online journal please get in touch with us by calling 0141 946 2466 and ask to speak to your Housing Officer.

To download a hard copy of this guide, please click here.