Published on: 14 Feb 2019 13:32

Written by: Maryhill Housing

What is Universal Credit full service?

Universal Credit is a monthly payment, for people of working age, who are out of work or working and on a low income.  Universal Credit replaces the following 6 benefits:-
● Working Tax Credit
● Child Tax Credit
● Housing Benefit
● Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
● Income Support
● Employment & Support Allowance (Income Related)

You must be aged 18 or over and under the qualifying age for Pension Credit (PC) in order to claim Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across Great Britain by postcode area.  Whether you can claim it and the way you manage your claim depends on where you live and your personal circumstances.

Universal Credit full service is available to all types of claimants in certain areas of Great Britain.
You will have an online Universal Credit account to manage your claim. You can use your account to report changes, send messages to your work coach and find support.

Eventually all Universal Credit claims will be on the full service and you will have a Universal Credit online account.

From 31st October 2018, any person needing to submit a new claim for certain benefits or experiencing any changes to an existing benefit claim will need to apply online for Universal Credit full service. 

Please note that not all ‘changes in circumstances’ will result in having to claim Universal Credit full service so please speak to a member of our Financial Support Team for advice before making any new claim.

Anyone already receiving Universal Credit though the “live” service will be contacted by the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) and asked to submit an online application so they can be transferred across to the Universal Credit full service.

How to Claim Universal Credit

You will need to apply and manage your Universal Credit claim online at

When claiming you will need to provide your bank account details, your email address and proof of your rent so that your housing costs are included in your claim (this is your Housing Element and it replaces Housing Benefit).

If you need assistance with applying or managing you claim online please contact your Housing Officer as soon as possible.  If you are unsure who your Housing Officer is please contact us on 0141 946 2466 or visit our office at 45 Garrioch Road, Glasgow, G20 8RG.  If you have any benefit enquiries please speak to a member of our Financial Support Service who will be happy to help.

Paying Your Rent and Universal Credit

It is the responsibility of all tenants to ensure that rent is paid to Maryhill Housing and you can ensure that this happens on a regular and ongoing basis by setting up a direct debit to pay your rent.

In Scotland, all new claimants for Universal Credit can ask for their Housing Element (the sum that the DWP agrees to pay towards rent as part of your Universal Credit) to be paid directly from the DWP to Maryhill Housing. You can also discuss these options with your Work Coach at the Job Centre.

Universal Credit – Payment Frequency

Universal Credit is paid monthly into your bank account however all new claimants in Scotland are able to ask to receive smaller payments twice per calendar month instead of a single monthly payment. Please consider this if you feel that it would help you to manage your money more effectively.

REMEMBER – If you make a claim for Universal Credit it will normally take at least five weeks until your first payment is made. If this will cause you financial difficulties you will be able to request an advance payment up to the anticipated amount of your first payment. This will be in the form of an interest free sum repayable over a period of up to a year.

If you require any help, the Universal Credit Helpline is: 0800 328 9344.  Calls to this number are free of charge.