Published on: 13 Jun 2019 15:59

Written by: Maryhill Housing

The UK Government’s decision to leave the European Union (Brexit) means that the rights of European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals living in the UK will change.

The changes mean EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to be able to:-

  • continue living in the UK*;

  • work in the UK;

  • use the NHS;

  • enroll in education or continue studying;

  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions (if you are eligible for them);

  • travel in and out of the UK.

If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years you will be given a pre-settled status; if you have 5 or more years of continuous residence you will be given a settled status. The status you receive from the UK Government will determine the rights you have and the benefits you can claim.
If the UK leaves the EU with a deal you will need to apply before 30th June 2021.  If we leave without a deal the closing date for applications will be 31st December 2020.

*You may be able to stay in the UK without applying – for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

You will find more information about the EU Settlement Scheme at:
Help and Advice
The Scottish Government is working in partnership with Citizen’s Advice Scotland who will offer free help and advice to EU, EEA and Swiss nationals living in Scotland.
The local Citizen’s Advice office is located at: 2nd Floor, 1455 Maryhill Road Glasgow, G20 9AA.  Help is also available over the telephone on the Citizen’s Advice Bureau’s national helpline: 0800 916 9847 (Monday and Friday mornings from 9.00am – 1.00pm and Wednesday afternoons from 1.00pm – 5.00pm).

For customers requiring extra help, Citizens Advice Scotland have created an EU Citizens Support Service. This service is for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens who would like to apply for settled status, but have extra needs. For more information please visit