A helping hand when you need us.

We’re proud of what we do to support our communities.

Sometimes that means providing a helping hand when it comes to your finances. Our Financial Support Team is made up of three skilled professionals who can help you to access financial support in a number of ways.

We see this work as part of our role in the community to make sure we’re here when you need us.

Examples of what the Financial Support Team can help with include:-

  • Benefit checks - there are a range of State Benefits available, some of which you may not even know you may be entitled to;

  • Help with completing the appropriate paperwork or forms to apply for benefits; 

  • Help with Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and/or Uni ersal Credit;

  • Appeals - by this we mean challenging a decision that has been made to deny you benefits.  If you think you have a case, we can help you with the paperwork and can represent you at any Appeal Tribunal;

  • Fuel Poverty - we work with not-for-profit Citrus Energy who assist with fuel debt and can establish if you are on the right energy tariff;

  • Accessing affordable credit - we can find out how you can access loans at a reasonable rate of interest.  We also work with Pollok Credit Union which is located in Maryhill Shopping Centre.  A Credit Union can offer you a savings account as well as low cost loans.

Contact Us

If you think we can help you, please get in touch. You can call us during office hours (from 9am to 5pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and from 9am to 1pm on Wednesdays) on 0141 946 2466 or email us at fst@maryhill.org.uk

We also operate a drop-in service where you can come in and speak to someone. Everything that you tell us will be treated in the strictest confidence.

The drop-in service operates during the following times:
Mondays (9.00am to 1.00pm)
Wednesdays (9.00am to 1.00pm)
Thursdays (1.00pm to 5.00pm)

If you have mobility issues or are house-bound we can come and see you. Just call us and we will arrange a visit.

If you are in – or facing financial difficulty – the earlier you contact us the better. This also applies to your rent. If you are unable to pay your rent or think this may be a problem then get in touch.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: My benefits have been delayed. What do I do?
A: If you are in financial crisis you can call the Scottish Welfare Fund on 0141 276 1177 and apply for a Crisis Grant for living expenses. You can also call into our office for a referral to the local foodbank if you feel that is appropriate.

Q: My benefit has been stopped. What can I do?
A: You normally have 28 days (from the date the letter informing you of this was issued) to challenge the decision. Call the number on the letter to speak with the relevant department or call us on 0141 946 2466 and ask to speak to a member of the Financial Support Team.

Q: I didn’t receive all of my items from the Scottish Welfare Fund. What should I do?
A: Call RSBi who are responsible for the delivery. The number is: 0141 287 0800.

Q: I have received a questionnaire from Employment and Support Allowance or Personal Independence Allowance. What do I do?
A: The letter accompanying the questionnaire will confirm the date it has to be completed and returned by.  Please check this and ensure that it is completed before the deadline is reached.  If you would like assistance to complete the questionnaire, please contact us as soon as you can so that an appointment can be arranged before the deadline.

Q: When will I get my Warm Home Discount Payment?
A: The Warm Home Discount Scheme for winter 2019 to 20 scheme is due to open in Autumn 2019. You can get £140 off your electricity bill under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.  The money is not paid to you - it is a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.  You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity.  Contact your supplier for more information.

Q: How do I get in touch with Housing Benefit now that the local office has closed?
A: You can call 0141 287 5050 for advice or make an appointment at Maryhill Library to speak with a Council employee in person. You can also visit Glasgow City Council Contact Centre, 45 John Street, to seek help or assistance.  You are welcome to use a phone in our office to call them.  Appointments can also be arranged online at https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=22129

Q: Do I have to pay the so-called the "bedroom tax", also known as the spare room subsidy?
A: No, the Scottish Government have made a commitment to pay any shortfall for everyone affected in 2017/18. However, if you didn’t receive it previously you do have to make a claim for it via Glasgow City Council.